Connect with us

Animal Care

Are Christmas Trees Toxic to Pets? Unveiling the Truth and Keeping Your Furry Friends Safe

Are Christmas Trees Toxic to Pets? Christmas Trees and Pet Safety: What You Need to Know to Prevent Poisoning



Are Christmas Trees Toxic to Pets

This holiday season, as you put up your beloved Christmas tree, you might find your pets—especially cats and dogs—curiously sniffing or perhaps even trying to munch on the tree’s needles. An important question naturally arises: Are Christmas trees poisonous to cats and dogs? If you’re a pet parent, worry not. This article is here to guide you through the possible hazards that Christmas trees might pose to your furry friends.

During the festive season, it’s common to be swept up in holiday preparations. These activities might lead you to reduce the time you usually spend with your pet. As a result, your furry buddy may take advantage of your lessened attention to explore new and intriguing household items, potentially causing trouble.

Of all the decorations, one that stands out for many pets is the Christmas tree. With their sparking lights and shiny ornaments, these trees might easily catch your pet’s eye. Their height and intrigue may even make them a tempting target for a curious cat or dog, leading to unfortunate Christmas tree mishaps.

You may be concerned about your Christmas tree’s safety, but have you considered the potential dangers to your pet? Can the tree needles your cat nibbled on harm them? Or the tree stand water your dog lapped up cause issues? Let’s delve into understanding the potential risks Christmas trees and other holiday decorations may pose to cats and dogs.

Useful Advice

If you believe your pet has ingested something harmful, immediately reach out to the Animal Poison Control Center. You can contact them at (888) 426-4435.

Risks Involved with Christmas Trees

As you revel in the holiday spirit, decking your tree with popcorn garlands, strands of tinsel, and homemade salt dough ornaments, your lovable pet might be eyeing these hanging delights as their next treat. But even in the absence of such appealing baubles, your Christmas tree could still pose considerable danger to your pets. So, before you orchestrate that charming festive photo-op of your fur-baby donning reindeer antlers or an elf cap by the gaily lit tree, think about these potential risks:

  • Understanding potential risks associated with Christmas trees for pets, particularly cats and dogs, is crucial to ensure a safe holiday season. Below, we outline several key areas of concern for pet parents:
    • Live Trees: Live Christmas trees, such as fir, spruce, and pine, are generally safe for pets. However, their needles can potentially irritate your pet’s mouth or, if ingested in large quantities, cause stomach issues1.Artificial Trees: While they are free from natural oils and sap found in real trees, artificial trees could lead to digestive problems, depending on the materials they’re made from.Fertilized Water: Water in the tree stand, often treated with fertilizer or preservatives to keep the tree fresh, might attract pets to drink it. However, these additives, along with potential mold and bacteria, may make your pet sick2.Ornaments: To your pets, shiny ornaments might look like fun toys. However, their fun can quickly turn dangerous if glass baubles or ceramic pieces shatter and potentially injure them.Lights: Stringed lights can be fascinating for pets, but they also pose a risk. Pets could choke on these small pieces, or suffer from electrical burns from biting into a lit strand.
    Hazardous Holiday Plants Aside from your Christmas tree, other holiday plants may also pose a threat to your pets’ health. Here are the top four to avoid:
    • Mistletoe: This plant can lead to stomach upset and in rare cases, heart issues in cats and dogs.2Holly: Its pointed leaves can cause injuries. The berries contain saponins, soap-like compounds that can harm your pets leading to symptoms like drooling, nausea, and diarrhea.3Lilies: Cats have a high sensitivity to this plant. Contact with lily pollen can result in kidney failure.4 More details on lily toxicity include symptoms such as stomach upset, heart rhythm abnormalities, and seizures. Dogs are less affected but may experience minor stomach upset.Amaryllis: The bulb of this plant can cause drooling or mouth irritation; ingesting large amounts can lead to stomach upset.1
    You might be surprised not to see poinsettias on this list. Contrary to popular belief, they rarely cause poisoning in pets.2 A vast amount needs to be ingested, and most pets are put off by the plant’s sap, which is quite irritating to the taste and feel. Common symptoms, if any, are vomiting and salivation. However, it’s best to keep all plants beyond the reach of your furry friends.

Keeping Your Pet Safe from Christmas Plant Toxicity

Don’t let a pet-related emergency spoil your holiday celebrations. Adopt these precautions:

  • Elevate your plants as cats can jump to high places, or better yet, confine your holiday plants in rooms that are generally off-limits to pets.
  • If your furry buddy loves chewing, opt for artificial plants. Nonetheless, too much gnawing on plastic or fabric plants can also be dangerous if swallowed.
  • Consider using baby gates or pens to segregate your Christmas tree from your pet.

Always refer to the ASPCA’s directory of toxic and non-toxic plants before introducing new plant species to your home. If your pet nibbles on any plant, seek immediate advice from your vet or animal poison control.

Should you suspect your pet of being unwell, contact your vet without delay. Always consult your vet for health queries since they are familiar with your pet’s medical history and give the most appropriate advice.

Christy Avery has worked as a veterinary technician for more than five years, caring for both domestic and exotic animals. She has received training as a Fear Free Certified Professional to prevent and treat pet anxiety, fear, and stress.